President Trump and first lady Melania test positive for COVID-19
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
The positive tests came just hours after it was reported that Mr. Trump’s top aide Hope Hicks had tested positive for the virus. Mr. Trump said he and the first lady would begin quarantining immediately.
Mr. Trump is 74 years old and has at least one underlying condition, placing him at a higher risk for complications, according to the Centers for Disease Control guidance.
The White House physician issued a memo confirming the positive tests, and saying the president and first lady were doing well and planned to remain at home.
“Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments,” wrote Sean Conley, physician to the president.
America stands united.
Our country stands strong.
Your President will continue to put the People first!
— Kayleigh McEnany (@PressSec) October 2, 2020
“The strength of the entire country is with President @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a tweet, adding that Mr. Trump would “continue to put the People first!”
Mr. Trump met with supporters in person earlier on Thursday, and held a rally with supporters in Minnesota on Wednesday night. He was in Cleveland, Ohio, on Monday for the first presidential debate.